Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Serendipitous

Around this time of year, I find myself trying to squeeze in all the "me" time I can. In a few short days, my children will be home for the summer and there will be people with me when I wake up, go grocery shopping, when I'm trying to take a shower, when I want to go running, when I really, really want to go to bed. Something strange happened this year - I've discovered I'm not longing for that "me" time like I usually do. I have had an amazing experience planning this run with my running partners. I want to keep planning, keep meeting people and hearing their stories, watch in awe what can happen when people come together to make something happen.

The support, generosity, encouragement, and excitement of people I've encountered along the way can match no other experience. Watching people come together in the face of something so difficult is a beautiful thing. I've never encountered something like this "up close" before. The four of us spent much of March worried and grieving about loved ones and probably wondering when things would feel "normal" again. I'm pretty sure the definition of normal changes when you are close to someone suffering from breast cancer, or lose someone to breast cancer. But, this process has given us all an opportunity to see some "good" in life.

It's been almost five years ago to the day that I knocked on my running partner's door, introduced myself, and asked her if she would be interested in training for the Chicago Marathon together. I'm pretty sure none of us envisioned this....actually planning a race together that will benefit The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. I'm pretty sure that all breast cancer survivors and breast cancer "families" didn't envision their journey, either. This is nothing like breast cancer treatment - this is easy compared to any breast cancer treatment. But, look what happened when those two things came together?

I hope those of you who come on Saturday feel the same support, generosity, encouragement, and excitement that we've experienced these last two and a half months. Then, I hope you continue to share those feelings with those you meet.

"With each mile I learn more about who I am -
with every step I move closer to myself...
this has been serendipitous.
I am comfortable with me, because of this road." --Unknown

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. Hopper! Hope all your plans are going well. I'm looking forward to walking tomorrow :) See you there!

    Carol Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read this. I had another chemo treatment yesterday. I'm nearly done: my last one is on June 25. Wishing the best for
    your race and for all the participates.

    ReplyDelete