Monday, May 31, 2010

The countdown begins....

Tomorrow is June 1 - and in a mere 12 days, the F.A.B. 5K will be here and then gone. Many with experience in planning events such as these and even some of us have likened the experience to planning a wedding and I can't think of a better comparison. So many small details to come together, so many things out of our control. As the day gets closer, I have to keep reminding myself (I'm not sure about my co-conspirators) not to stress out too much and remember why I'm doing this....why we're all doing it.

However, this isn't too difficult because I encounter people almost every day throughout this process who remind me that we are far from alone in our experiences. The dry cleaner who has four sisters, three of whom had stage IV breast cancer; the clerk at Ann Taylor Loft who has an aunt who has been fighting Stage IV breast cancer for 16 years (without remission); a teacher of one of our children who sent an email detailing her experience with her mom; a volunteer who shared a moving story about her two sisters with breast cancer; a friend's daughter who flew from Alabama to the NIH in D.C. one day per month for 9 months for Stage IV experimental treatment. The stories go on and on and I fear I've left many important stories out - so many to tell. It's important to share these stories because we are a community of people with potential connections. We can help one another, share information, and motivate breast cancer research. For all of you attending our run, some very beautiful little girls (Girl Scout Daisies from Patton Elementary) will be providing signage boards for people to share their stories and love. Don't forget to stop by, read and sign!

Every time I encounter one of these people or their story, I'm immediately motiviated to check off the next task on the to-do list or come up with another "to-do". I'm doing it for Sarah, my mom, Barb, Charmaine, Christine and all these other people and their families. I know many of you are coming out for these same special people. Who else? Let us know.

It's so worth every bit of planning; each possible sanfu, each unplanned obstacle. Because, in the end, why am I doing this? I'm doing it for a bigger purpose and I can handle it. Hope to see you there...rain...or shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment